Monday, January 5, 2009

DTV has "clearer picture and better sound"... if you can get it to come in

So I've had a digital TV with ATSC tuner for about four months now. And yet, when Channel 7 broadcast their DTV education special yesterday, I watched almost the whole damn thing on analog. That's because here in Detroit, by the Ambassador Bridge, Channel 7's digital channels still have the second worst reception of all digital channels. Only Channel 50-1 is worse: I got it to show up in the channel scan, but its signal level remains stuck at 0 no matter what I do to the antenna. I suppose that, in a way, that's better than Channel 7. Sometimes you get lucky and 7-1 suddenly comes in. But then the wind blows a little, the image gets stuck and then it just goes to black. I've tried to wean myself off of using the analog reception as a guide for digital reception, because after February 17, it's not going to be available. Finding reception for some channels will be like trying to find water with a twig.

I mentioned last year that I had given up on RCA antennae and gone with a Philips antenna. Of that Philips, I broke off the left "ear" and twisted the right "ear." Channel 20-1 comes in almost no matter what I do to the antenna. Channels 4-1 and 62-1 have been fairly reliable with my specially broken antenna, requiring only minor antenna adjustments, as soon as I put the antenna in a position that's worked before, the channel comes in. Channel 2-1 has been OK, but besides Sunday "Animation Domination," is there anything on that channel? (Right, football, the art of the time-out). So Best Buy, forget it if you still want me to shell out $100 for an amplified unidirectional antenna that might not even work anyway. You'd have to pay me a $100 to give it a try. Nor will I shell out $70 each for converter boxes for the remaining analog TVs in my house (I'm still waiting on the rebate coupon, supposedly they mailed it January 2).

DTV does offer more channels than analog. It's actually useful to have a 24-hour weather channel, so I'm not happy about Channel 4 ditching their 24-hour weather channel and replacing it with a 7-2 knockoff (old movies and TV shows at 480i, which on a 1080i screen looks rather crappy and JPEG-artifacty). At least WXYZ still has a weather channel (at 7-3), but it's useless if you can't get it to come in, and when it finally does come in, it gives you the weather for Albuquerque and then drops out before swinging back to Michigan.

No comments: