Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Kudos to Channel 20

Tonight at midnight, Detroit's Channel 20 is turning off its analog transmitter, according to its website and scrolling announcements in both the analog and digital channels. Today was the original deadline, before Congress decided to delay it to June 12 for the sake of a few stragglers. Channel 20 is sticking to the original deadline, so congratulations.

Today I actually tuned in to Channel 20's analog channel for the first time in months. Channel 20's digital transmission has been so good (sometimes reaching the 80s in the signal strength meter) that I have never had to fall back on the analog channel as I've often had to do with other channels (yes, I'm talking about Channel 7). My tuning in to 20-0 was purely out of curiosity, to see something for the last time. My Dynex TV has a signal meter, and it presumably goes from 0 to 100. But I've never seen it at 100. I'll be watching 20-0 at midnight tonight, to see it switch to static. And then I'll switch to 20-1, and hopefully see the DTV signal meter reach the 90s for the first time ever.

No comments: